Created on Saturday, 21 April 2012 13:10 Written by Super User
Sitting majestically on the northern side of the village green, The Camden Arms is an impressive building. It has been at the heart of village life for about 200 years, welcoming locals and travellers alike.
On the main road from the Kentish coast to London, the Camden Hotel became popular with both locals and coach parties. In autumn of 1949, the recording unit of the European Service of the BBC visited the premises. They were accompanying two coach loads of visiting tourists of various nationalities from Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. The BBC was recording their reactions to the British way of travelling by coach for a sea-side trip, and subsequently broadcast sound-pictures in their native languages to the visitor's home countries. Naturally a good impression was formed of the trip and the hotel.
In 1954, motorcyclists from all over the Home Counties took part in the first annual Camden Cup Trial arranged by the Kent and Sussex Motor Cycle Club.
Over the years numerous improvements have been carried out, including improvements to the toilets. The architect concerned can remember being instructed that all wash basins were to be re-enforced: the hotel was frequently host to coach parties of East End ladies who, if the toilets were all occupied, and if desperate, would use any convenience available!
The Camden Arms has certainly seen many changed since it was built, a major alteration being its transformation from hotel to a traditional pub in 1979. James and Carol Cunningham, the current landlords, took the helm of the Camden Arms in 2001. They have made many improvements to the buildings and gardens, making both the facilities and the warm atmosphere at the Camden Arms unrivalled in the area.
The latest milestone in the long history of the Camden Arms was the reintroduction of a hotel on the premises. The new hotel was opened by Greg Clark MP on 20th April 2007. It is situated to the back (west) of the pub building, and incorproates 17 luxury rooms furnished to an excellent standard.
The photographs used on this page are reproduced with kind permission of Steve Morton and the Pembury Village website. You can view many photos of Pembury, past and present, as well as other information about the village at www.pembury.org.
"Whitbread The Inn Behind the Signs", Second Series issued in 1950, No.14, Camden Hotel, Pembury by David Harper, pub 2005,
used by kind permission of David Harper.